Sunday, January 27, 2008

To go online or to not?

For the last year I have been working at a Ski shop in Washington D.C. and I have noticed that they are not adapting to the new market trends. As most of you have noticed by now e-commerce (buying and selling products online) is a major part of our lives. I hope you all understand this and if you have not shopped online yet, I recommend it, its almost like Christmas when your package arrives.
However, back to my store. The company unfortunately has not adapted to the internet part of business and I believe that in the future the company is going to take a big hit by not going online. Our company has a lot to offer and I believe that not being able to offer online services, as some of our competitors are doing, is going to affect our customers loyalty.
I wonder whether or not e-commerce is necessary for every company?

4 comments:

Stephen said...

just testing, cocomment

Jackie said...

just testing, co-comment

Katie said...

While companies that do not go online do miss out on sales, some companies prefer to stay small.

One of my mom's friends from college owns a greek store in my home town, Dallas, Texas, called McCartneys. I go in often and buy the newest clothing and trinkets in the store. While it is a small store, it is across the street from Southern Methodist University and gets a lot of business. I always go into the store and tell Carolyn, the owner, that all of my friends at school want to order from her, usually hinting that she should go online. However, she always informs me that she is busy enough as it is and she enjoys keeping her store the way it is.

A small store usually feels more like a boutique and is attractive because the merchandise is unique. Some stores like to keep their non-corporate feel and keep a personal clientele instead of squeezing as much profit out of the business as possible.

Jessica said...

I've ordered stuff from that Greek Store and been there! It's very popular. Crazy...

I disagree. I think all companies shoes be online - get with the times. Increase your accessibility. Andres- make it happen. Talk to your company about starting a website. Be the liaison between a web designer that you find and your boss. Make some money buddy!!