Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Facebook of businesses, LinkedIn

Now that I am starting to "look" for a job I have found that it is almost impossible to get into a major companies job without knowing somebody. But who knew that the new way to find the easy way in is through your computer. I haven't tried any job networking sites but I believe talking to a person and submitting applications specifically to a company you want is more efficient, but hey, thats just me.

There use to be a time where knowing how to work Microsoft Office was enough but not anymore. Now you need the have capacity of making a website, blogging, and being familiar with business networking sites. The most popular site and one that has grown enormously is LinkedIn, a business networking site that has over 11,000,000 members and is targeted and small businesses and entrepreneurs.

Here is a video that should help you understand. Its the best one I found.

The downside to this is that all you have to speak for yourself is what you submitted online and thats it. Like most of the better part of technology its a double edge sword and it must be handled with care.

My recommendation to all of you and this is something I am starting to realize myself. Don't loose touch of the people you have met, because online job applications and job searching websites might be the future, there is nothing like the personal touch of sending an e-mail to somebody in your network.

If you haven't visited LinkedIn yet I recommend you do so.

Articles referred:

"Will the Web Replace the Business Lunch?"

"Networking for Students: Step-by-Step Guide - Boston.com"

4 comments:

Katie said...

I think one thing you are missing in your list of things necessary to get a job is social skills. If you are a presentable person with good social skills, you have a step up. A personal interview is one thing that computer networks lack. Through an interview, you have a chance to bond with your interviewer and really leave a lasting impression. If you can show through and interview that you are a smart person with a quick learning curve, you have the job.

I know that for basic interviews at retail stores, I have gotten lucky because of how I interact with people. Clearly, the job requires you to talk to people shopping, but you also need to be pleasant to work with. I had no experience but I presented myself well and got the job. There were about 7 other people applying and three got the job. My conversational skills really helped me to get the job.

I also completely agree on keeping connections. You never know who might know who who can get you a good job. Social skills can help you make the connections and keep the connections that might eventually get you a good job. You just never know.

Adam Saxe said...

I agree that an interview is also a very important tool. In a class I took last semester (Public Speaking), we would record computer interviews. A pre-recorded person would ask us interviews and we would answer them via web-cam and then send them to employers. It just shows how advance even interviews are becoming.

Jackie said...

I too am/will be searching for a job soon and am still a little weary about using social networking sites, but I believe that it is where the business world is heading, although LinkedIn does seem like a legit site.

Stephen said...

While I didn't get a chance to view your video (I don't have headphones right now), I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. I am seeing it with my own eyes that personal networking is the only way to secure a job. I needed to know the right people to get a simple lifeguarding job at a corporatation. I didn't even want the job in the first place, but I was offerred it because of the people I knew.

I have sent in many online applications, and the only ones that have shown interest are the ones I've called. It's the personal touch that puts you ahead of the others. And here's always a hint- if a company doesn't have an "internship" area of their company website, you should post an inquery on their "contact us/comments?" section. I did this with a company, and they responded to me and took a huge interest in me.