Monday, March 31, 2008

Differentiation is key


Job searching has become a very important part of my life in the last couple of months. I have learned that everything you do can affect whether or not you get hired. It is important to differentiate yourself in the job market and there are certain things in todays world that we as potential employees NEED. I don't know if these will be helpful but here is a list of things I believe can be useful when you interview.

  1. Learn a second language (Spanish or Mandarin are important ones for the future)
  2. Know how to use social networks and how they operate
  3. Be familiar with new technologies that can help your business or that which you are applying to.
  4. Try to blog or post writing samples online
Blogging is important, it shows you can write and you know how to work technology. Blogs are useful ways to show employees that you have leadership and initiative skills because your are not afraid of put your thoughts out there and letting the world know.

These are just some things I picked up during my interviews and have served me well. Don't underestimate what you are capable of.

Sources: Hiring the best people - - 10 simple rules. The blog is the new resume

Picture source: http://www.completepeoplemanagement.co.uk/67/text/136/files/resume.jpg

No comments: